EvCC’s Leadership Academy provides a professional development opportunity for college faculty, staff, and administrators to enhance skills with specific emphasis on leadership practices, working styles, diversity, communication, group dynamics, design thinking, change management and conflict resolution. The academy takes place over the course of eight months and focuses on building small teams who work together on a projects that give back to the college.
For the 2016-2017 academy, Team Hufflepuff worked with client Pat Sisneros, Vice President of College Services.
One of Pat’s areas of focus was making sustainability more institutionalized at EvCC and for the college to eventually be recognized as a national leader for sustainability. Of course, we already know that EvCC is doing some great work with sustainability, but it turns out that we needed to do a better job at telling our story and encouraging everyone to get on board.
Team Hufflepuff tackled this project with the goal of completely revamping the college’s sustainability website with easier navigation, updated images, and action-oriented language. It would be an area to show off the great work that is already happening on campus as well as bring in new tools and resources to help spark greater interest on campus.
The Results – After 8 Months
- A new campaign was created (Go, See, Do!)
- The website structure and design was completely overhauled
- A new dashboard was created on the website, based on EvCC’s Climate Action Plan
- New photos were taken to highlight areas on campus where sustainability is happening
- EvCC President Dr. Beyer issued a statement on sustainability
- Current and new sustainability resources were highlighted
- A new sustainability pledge was created
- A new sustainability hero award was created
- A new sustainability resource map was created
- A new sustainability blog was created (and you are reading it now!)
- A sustainability audit process that was first conceptualized through a previous leadership academy project was resurrected
- Team Hufflepuff presented to faculty, staff, and administrators to help raise awareness and encourage participation in sustainability practices
Have you visited the new sustainability website? Have you used any of the new tools and participated in sustainability practices?
Notice a colleague committing “random acts of greenness?” Then be sure to recognize them!